AN ORDINANCE OF THE TOWN OF SECAUCUS, REGARDING PERFORMANCE STANDARDS FOR GRANTING RIGHT-OF-WAY ACCESS FOR TRANSPORTATION INNOVATIONS
WHEREAS, returning communication infrastructure to a free market in 1982 resulted in vast innovation, better service at lower costs and millions of jobs; and
WHEREAS, privately funded freight railroads average over 400 ton-miles per gallon efficiency; and
WHEREAS, establishing performance standards based on economic work accomplished per unit of energy consumed may allow free market solutions that repeat communication infrastructure success in transportation infrastructure; and
WHEREAS, the Congressional Office of Technology Assessment Study PB-244854(1975) identified Automated Guideways and Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) networks as a solution o the 1973 Oil Embargo and the PRT network at Morgantown, WV has delivered 100 million oil-free, injury-free passenger-miles since starting service in 1975;
NOW THEREFORE BE IT ORDAINED, non-exclusive assess to City rights-of-way may be granted to transportation systems providers meeting the following free market principles:
(1) Privately funded construction;
(2) Privately operated without government subsidies;
(3) Exceed 120 passenger-miles per gallon, or equivalent efficiency; and
(4) Exceed safety performance of transportation modes already approved for use.
AND THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER ORDAINED, regulation of free market innovations shall be based on:
(1) System design, fabrication, installation, safety, insurance, inspection practices consistent with the ASTM International, Committee F24 on Amusement Rides and Devices;
(2) Environmental approvals will be granted based on a ratio of energy consumed per passenger-mile of the innovation versus transport modes approved to operate in the rights-of-way; and
(3) All taxes and fees assessed on the transport systems providers, passengers and cargo shall be limited to 5% of gross revenues and paid to the aggregate rights-of-way holders by transportation systems providers; and
AND THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER ORDAINED, that any individual projects shall be process and considered in accordance with all relevant municipal and state regulations.
This Ordinance shall take effect immediately after final passage and publication in accordance with law.
Date: __________________ ____________________________ Michael J. Gonnelli, Mayor